Day 5


Ever wonder what the will of God was for your life? Well, it's written in black and white in the bible. I read it this morning. And no, I do not mean it's a theme you gather from reading many passages. Actually, Paul writes to the Thessalonians and tells them clearly what God's will is for them...

[A Life Pleasing to God]
[4:1] Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. [2] For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. [3] For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; [4] that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, [5] not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; [6] that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. [7] For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. [8] Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
[9] Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another, [10] for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more, [11] and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, [12] so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.
(1 Thessalonians 4:1-12 ESV)


So quite simply, we see. In verse 3, he spells out, God's will is YOUR SANCTIFICATION! I heard a famous preacher once say that God is much less concerned with what you do and much more concerned with who you become.

I read this this morning, and was convicted in many ways. Here are a few of the pointers that spoke to me about what my life SHOULD be but perhaps is not.

1. 'that each know how to control his own body in holiness and honor.' This is more than just sexually. So one remains pure sexually. Great, but can he/she (me) control her hands from going into the wallet and pulling out the credit card when she sees the new purse she WANTS b/c it will make her feel good for a few minutes when really that money is God's and He knows she does NOT NEED a new purse?

2. 'that you trust god as the avenger in all things and not seek it for yourself.' I also read from that same preacher that we should always seek justice for others but never for ourselves. I'm reminded of how close I came to running my key alongside the new Ford truck that stole my parking space the other day and how I only stopped b/c I saw someone watching to see if I would.

3. 'live quietly and mind your own business.' I'm not as nosey and gossipy as I once was, but I still covet, envy, and struggle with wanting to be like others.

4. 'work with your hands rather than depending on others.' Did you realize that was in the bible? I read that in my advent devotion this morning and thought it must be some crazy message translation until I looked it up in my ESV. It literally says 'work with your hands!' I have to constantly remind myself that God asks me to be content with what I can afford for myself on my salary and in my condition. He has called my hands to this work and will supply my NEEDS. Unfortunately for me, my wants are those of a CEO or executive. I say unfortunately, but I suppose it is actually fortunately. As I battle this, I will fulfill God's will...and become sanctified by Him.

Happy Advent Day 5!

Comments

Popular Posts