Grumpy I Suppose?

Am I turning into a New Yorker? Please, God, tell me I am not. Tell me that it is just a bout of my inability to be cordial after 7 p.m.

I arrived at the Charlotte airport already annoyed by the people on the plane from LGA. It's like I can't escape Chinese people. I don't mean that nearly as rude as it sounds. Let me explain:

Waiting at the gate with me was a Chinese couple with a bag that was large enough to fit all of my pets in and then perhaps my laptop bag and purse. (Those alone take up a good amount of space...and Jirem weighs 50 lbs now). I knew this bag was too big to be 'carried on,' especially when the attendants announced that anyone sitting in zones 3-5 would have to check their rollerboard suitcases because of how full the flight was. This couple, like me, was seated in zone 5, but did they attempt to check their colossal bag? No. They did not. Of course, as we boarded the plane, the stewards and stewardesses reprimanded them and told them to check it. They did not listen, again, and proceeded to their seat and attempted to put it under the seat. It did not fit....how do I know this? Oh...because they ended up being seated BY ME. Ugh. The stewardess argued with them, and they finally were able to maneuver the contents of the bag and squash it under the seat...by some act of God. It was still protruding out, and it made the stewardess mad at our entire section. She looked very angry.

Then, a few minutes into the flight, when I'm attempting to sleep, I am hit with THE smell...THE smell I loathe...curry. The couple had brought Chinatown take out containers with Chinese food....great. I had to sit and smell it for about a half hour. Oh well.

Once in Charlotte, I was ready to LEAVE the plane and find my gate, but I confronted by very slow people not standing to the right and walking to the left like they are supposed to. I ducked into starbucks for a decaf latte where I met the kind Southern boy who proceeded to try to talk to me about my entire life history. 'Where are you from? What do you do? What brings you to Charlotte? Are you sure you want decaf? It's only 9 p.m.' ... and I think 'Yes. Just give me my coffee and shut the crap up.' Ugh, when did I become so RUDE? Then he proceeds to tell the other guy behind the counter about me and to announce that I'd like an 'extra decaf latte.' The guys laugh. The second one says, "Sorry, we only have regular decaf." I, trying to smile, say 'that's fine.' The first guy then says 'don't worry, there is no such thing as extra decaf.' I am not amused. "I.know.that," I mutter firmly. Sheesh. Then the second guy starts asking me if I'm into fashion. Wha??? Anyway, I leave and am confronted with texts from my sister. She is trying to figure out my flight numbers. I've already told her that I landed in Charlotte and my plane was moved up 15 minutes, that I'd be in GA early. "Are you sure you're in Charlotte and not ATL she asks?" "I know where I am." I respond. I didn't mean to be rude. It's just pouring out tonight.

It's official. I am only meant to wear p.j.s after 7, and I am not meant to carry on conversations with anyone unless I start them and they selfishly revolve around whatever I would like to discuss and for however long I would like to discuss it.

Jesse, I hope you're having fun on your first married-home-alone-weekend.

Bye for now.


Comments

dang34 said…
At least you held your tongue this time =)

Popular Posts