Sick-as-a-dog-Soup

So I awoke this morning sick-as-a-dog. Actually, I first felt 'sick' coming on my drive to work yesterday. I was attempting to sing along to MeginLea's Country station on Pandora when I realized my throat felt 'scratchy.' I thought to myself, "OOoh, maybe I'm getting sick! That would be kinda fun! I could miss work and just watch T.V. on the couch all day!" That is always my first thought when I get sick. I think this thought is brought about because as a child, when my brother, sister, or I got sick, Mom always made it a 'fun' time to cheer us up. We didn't have to go to school, and she let us lay on the couch, watch cartoons, drink Gingerale and Orange Juice, and basically ask for whatever we wanted to eat because our taste-buds were always 'dulled' due to sickness and we usually didn't want to each much at all. So because of the many INCREDIBLE sick experiences I had as a child (I say many...but I wasn't like ALWAYS sick), to this day, the first thought that comes to mind when I start to feel sick is 'weeee.' Unfortunately, however, now that I am an adult, that first thought quickly turns into an 'uh-oh.'

So yesterday, I enjoyed the 'wee' feeling in the car until I hit 65 Chrystie street and parked. Then reality kicked in and I realized:

"Wait...I have responsibilities...and plans for the weekend....and Buffie could have her baby any day...and I was just out of town in Georgia so I'm still catching up on stuff at church....I do not HAVE the TIME to get sick. Oh please don't let me get sick dear Jesus! I want to work without feeling lousy, and I want to sing along to Shane & Shane at the concert tomorrow night in New Jersey, and I want to enjoy eating my 12-pack Chikfila nuggets and vanilla ice-dream cone, and I want to be well-enough to hold a newborn at any given moment. Oh Please Jesus! Please! I'm sorry I first said 'weeeeeeeeeeeeee'."

Yesterday wasn't too bad. Just a sore throat and malaise, and at one point during the day, I even convinced a 7th grade student to say "Poor Megin" for me since Whitney Coleman wasn't around and my husband refused. (Thanks Mei Lin)! Nothing felt torturous until about 6:30 when my throat was REALLY throbbing, after giving a lesson for the Jr. High kids where one is forced to raise his/her voice and I remembered that my new schedule had kicked in....meaning I stayed till 9 p.m. on Friday nights. Plus, I needed to sing loudly to 'lead' the songs for the kids. I told Jesse I wouldn't be able to do that and asked him to sing loudly instead. But Jesse's 'loud' is pretty 'soft.' Therefore, I ended up singing loudly because I 'could' do it, it just hurt, and I wanted to make sure that the students felt comfortable singing. (You know what I mean? Like if no one is singing, you don't want to sing very loud, but if someone is loud or a lot of people are singing, then you feel more free to sing. Dangit, however, that the song was pretty high and I had to thrust my abs inward to hit the notes because of my sore throat. I'm pretty sure I was flat....good thing teenage kids, Jordan, Jesse, and Cheryl don't care).

By the time I got home last night, my throat was throbbing, and my mood was grumpy dwarf. I had kept making Jesse say 'ahhhhhh' all day and stick out his tongue so that I could compare the coloring of his tonsils and throat to the coloring of my own when I looked in the mirror. Poor husband; he had felt rather ridiculous having to do this. But my investigative efforts paid off, and by bed time I was quite convinced my throat was a much brighter shade of red than his. His was more of a dull-beige-pink color. Mine was more of a tomato color. Unless the shading is different due to our varying races, I think it's safe to say my throat is irritated and SICK.

I took one Nyquil and one Mucinex. My nose was stuffy. I knew it needed to drain, but I also knew more drainage would make the throat hurt more, and then I fell asleep on the couch watching Dateline and the News, (while swearing to Jesse I wasn't REALLY sleeping because when I actually fall asleep, it's his cue to switch the T.V. to UFC or basketball...and I knew I didn't want to be in my zombie like state with either of those going on in the background. Boring. I managed to ward off said shows the entire time through my incredible whining efforts. He's so selfless toward me. Next thing I knew, it was 11:45 and he was waking me so I could move to the bed).

So here I am, about 12 hours later, Saturday  morning, with a wonderfully-planned day of fun ahead of me; yet, I feel sick-as-a-dog. I do not know who I want to blame this sickness upon. I could blame it upon my husband since his tissues are scattered around our apartment like decorative knick-knacks, but he swears his snot is just allergies and not filled with contagious germs. I could blame my sickness upon my nephew who came down with a sinus infection after spending 4 days at my mom's house last week. I did snuggle him in the bed each night and help wipe a lot of his snot. I think he even drooled on me once. But apparently his illness was precipitated by cat dander and dust and pollen. So I guess I have to just blame my sickness upon the fact that I:

  • left New York, 
  • rode on a stuffy plane full of germs, 
  • slept in my mother's zoo-of-a-house for 5 days, 
  • attempted to clean her house for her since she doesn't have the time while she works two jobs,
  • inhaled a lot of Georgia pollen during my 10 mile runs, 
  • rode another stuffy-germy plane back to New York, 
  • and then exposed myself to the different New York pollutants and allergens as well as a different set of zoo animals. 

I suppose all that combined is a really good recipe for sick-as-a-dog-soup. I can't say that it wasn't worth it though.  :)

So happy Saturday to you all. I am here in bed hoping to muster up the strength for Shane & Shane & Chikfila tonight, doping myself up on Dayquil, Zycam, and Mucinex, and drinking some apple juice and orange juice (and diet sunkist). If you go outside into allergen country, try to hold your breath lest your throat become inflamed, and if you sleep next to a 4-year-old, tell him to wipe his own nose and drool on his own pillow, and if you have pets, well....I guess there's no hope there. :)

Poor Megin Face
Oh, and lastly (and perhaps MOST important) my Facebook wall is currently accepting as many "Poor Megin" messages as you'd like to leave. If you are confused by what this means, just ask Whitney Coleman and Cynthia Wilson :). The above picture is a demonstration of the face I make while one is delivering the "Poor Megin" message. Perhaps said picture it will move you to pity.

Love love,
m

Comments

Popular Posts