"True Stories"

Welcome to the new section of "In Quietness and Trust." Actually, the title of my blog is kind of ironic. I update  quite frequently nowadays, so much so that I am not what one would call very 'quiet.' Nevertheless, I have decided to start this new section, and I am quite excited about it. The category is called "True Stories" and will be composed of just that, true stories from my life, mostly childhood and adolescence. These stories will be happy, sad, funny, confusing, disturbing, moving (hopefully), and all very true. I do love to write, and this is one area where I have a lot to write about. I should have studied writing in college so I would know something about how to do it. I do remember winning a theological writing award in undergrad. In my eyes, it was my most noteworthy achievement.

I will change the names of people in these true stories because I don't know all the rules and laws out there regarding writing things about people without their permission. My dad has told me many times that he thinks I should write a book, but what I always think in response to him (although I never say it) is that he would very much be a main character in that book which I would write because I'd write about my life, the ONE thing I know about. And he probably wouldn't like some of the things I would reveal about him or how I might portray him from time-to-time, although I would claim no absolute authority or sovereign judgement regarding him. His entire reputation would be at the will-of-me, the author, however, unless he got some type of lawyer like Kim Kardashian has that makes sure everything about him that is written in copyrighted books is first run past her and his agent momager... ;).

Anyway, as I perusing through my closet to pick out my clothes today, and thinking about all of this, I was wondering whether it was 'okay' to tell stories of my life and maybe something a person did to me without the permission of the person. The thought came to me, "if they DID it to you, Megin, then why should you have to keep it a SECRET? They were bold enough to do it. Now they suffer the consequences." That thought was quickly turned away, however, with a lot of Christian scripture about forgiving your brother from the heart and stuff and forgiving like God forgives us. And it certainly doesn't seem like forgiveness to air lots of dirty laundry about people and to slander them. Everyone makes mistakes.

So I want to make sure that you understand the point of my "True Stories" section. There are a lot of things I would like to accomplish with this new section of my blog, and like I have said, these things excite me. Some of these things, in no particular order, are

  • to entertain my readers
  • to heal (when applicable) through the therapy of getting a witness (as my counselor calls it)
  • to educate people, not that I'm so smart, with the lessons I have learned
  • to share the glory of God that I've seen

What I do not hope to do is slander anyone or present anyone in a negative light. People are people, (as Taylor Swift says- haha), and no one is righteous- no not one. So in any story told, I will only seek to tell my perspective and nothing more.

So that's it friends. That's the introduction to my "True Stories" section. I will try to post the first  entry within the next few days, and I promise to make it an endearing one with which most everyone can relate :). I'm putting myself out there! It's kind of scary. I intend to reveal some personal stories here, but that also intensifies my drive and desire to write, write, write. Ahhhhhh here we go!!!!!!

Comments

iMyMeMine said…
Can't wait to read them - they're very moving & it's nice to see your very human side, not just as Ms. Megin who is strong willed and sure (It's a compliment - just in case)
Oh geez. I just pulled a Kathy/Edna. I looked for where I could 'like' your comment. Geeeeez.

Popular Posts