A Heart For Today

Alright, let's pick back up in some healthy, helpful territory- the word of God... developing a proper sight of ourselves and proper understanding of Who is behind us, the Truth, not the liar who steals, kills, and destroys. 

I read this, in My Utmost this morning. If you haven't gotten tired of Chambers yet, you are a person after my own heart because it's been years, and he still schools me....I can't get away from him. 
My Utmost For His Highest, July 26th

Technically, that was yesterday's reading, but my book is old, and a good portion of the pages have fallen out and are simply laid in place; thus, from time to time, I read in the wrong order. It's okay though. God is sovereign.

So reading that, I am reminded, my heart- the thing of which I am quite aware and over which I battle much shame- is simply operating how it operates post-fall, destructively and disgustingly. Take heart, however, that GOD in CHRIST has overcome the heart and my heart. The Holy Spirit works out unsullied purity, as Chambers calls it. Thus, I am encouraged and strengthened....thus I can carry on....

And then my precious friend Karen, with whom I rejoice and agonize over the perils of wifedom and motherhood, sent me this from her own devotion this morning. She didn't mention the name of the book, so I can't credit it. Instead, I'll call it "Karen's book." Thank you Karen for weathering this with me. Since our YCF days and we were often paired as secret santa's or valentine's day encouragement partners (whatever those were called), Karen has written me cards, sent me devotions, or delivered me with fluffy socks and hot chocolate that, as silly as it sounds, LITERALLY CARRIED ME THROUGH! I still wear those socks, use that pink fluffy headband (give me another word for fluffy please). Multiple headbands, I believe, Karen gave me, or maybe some were from my Smith ladies. Too many gifts to recall. But the point is, these women loved me and propped me up through their friendship, and they do still today even though we attend different churches and live lives that do not intersect in person as often. Praise God for giving us community here in NY. THANK YOU GOD!

So yeah, Karen sent this:


Therefore, I decided to write my own list, in my new journal which I just started. Why not share since I've shared basically all my other highs and lows and desperately embarrassing truths with you all...??


So there you have it. My devotion from this morning. Perhaps it strengthens you and reminds you where to focus your eyes today, as you start the day, with all that threatens to cast you down, with all that sits beside you, holding a baseball bat and glove, and crying "please help me find the ball. Daddy said he WOULDN'T help. Mommy please....I can't wait. Daddy never helps! [that's a dramatic-4.5-year-old-interpretation of events], Please Mommy. Please, I CAN'T wait just one minute," even though you've asked for merely a moment and promised to find the ball (which is sitting in plain sight to the the whole world minus the 4.5-year-old), as soon as you are done..... 
patience little one....patience mommy..... 
Focus your eyes on Author and Finisher of not only your FAITH but all of life....God's patience never runs out although the mother's runs out a million times a day. Help me Jesus. Hold me up. I am not enough, but You, You are MORE than enough, over and over again. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts