Happy Birthday Aden... and a Family of Six!



March 21st, 2019
Today is  Aden’s 1st birthday. There is no party- no oversized icecream cake for Mommy and Daddy to ‘’pretend’’ is for him when it’s really for us. No trip to the local zoo… (all things we did when Eli turned 1!) I’m not sad; however. Rather, there is an ache like when you touch an old scar. It is kind of numb, but feels a little off- nothing like normal skin. A year and 9 months, that’s how long it took to get here. That’s how long it took to grieve 9 weeks of dreams for him. I am thankful for Aden’s life for so many reasons. I am thankful even for his death although I would love for him to have been born healthy. But in his death, God ushered me into a period of grieving so many losses from my past that I had buried because I didn’t know how to handle them. I had no idea the countless deep memories from childhood that were stuck deep inside of me, impacting my every day life, my fears, my hopes, my thoughts of God, my ability to be in relationship to others…. Without the loss of Aden, I wonder when and how God would have ushered in this intense season of grieving past loss upon past loss mingled with fresh losses as they continued to come. We lost Aden in August, 2017, and there was literally a new grief every month in 2018….culminating in the loss of our third child in October… I am at peace with what God chose for us. I am thankful to be the mother of two angels in heaven. I am wounded yet healed… and will continue in that ambiguous state for all of life I believe. I am also immensely thankful for the way in which I grew as Eli’s mother because of my losses. Yes, there were plenty of time I was wracked with guilt b/c I couldn’t take Eli to do something fun due to my fighting off depressions and anxiety… BUT my time WITH Eli became richer- fuller. I was able to be more present with him when I was with him. And I am thankful for the way in which he got so much of his mommy and Daddy’s attention all these years. He’s an incredible miracle that I will never be able fully to explain.

With all of this in mind, it is with joy AND a new awareness and sensitivity that Jesse and I have approached the expecting of our 4th child this Fall. We found out in January that I was pregnant again. This first trimester has been nothing short of exhausting, painful, terrifying, and debilitating. Of COURSE, we are and have been abundantly thankful that we were able to conceive so quickly after the loss of Abel. But the navigating of my intense sickness and so many of the inconveniences of the first trimester were tough since we did not want to get our hopes up or expect that this baby would be healthy. We’d pursued genetic testing which assured us our chances were great for a healthy child, but when you lose two babies to genetic issues, it can throw you through an emotional loop. When I was pregnant with Abel, we sought to be happy yet guard our hearts, but people who would find out we were pregnant would make us the promises that we need not fear- of course this baby would be fine. God was blessing us! Don’t worry. I knew they meant well, but I also knew it was super early, and one just did.not.know. In actuality, I found myself comforting OTHERS when we lost Abel. It confused some that God would allow two tragedies… they needed a reason for it immediately- a reason why it was a good thing…. The truth is it wasn’t a good thing… but God was still good. I ‘get’ that that is not something easy to accept. I wrestle with it, so I should be patient with others… but I didn’t want to go through that again. Jesse and I kept this pregnancy to ourselves for a long time … we didn’t even tell our family until we had to tell them b/c of how sick I was getting.

So about that… my doctor realized early on in this pregnancy that I had dangerously low amounts of the hormone progesterone that helps keep a person pregnant. I had to start taking progesterone supplements to support my pregnancy. Low progesterone puts one at risk for miscarriage. It was not guaranteed that I would miscarry without the supplements, but it ‘’couldn’t hurt’’ to take them…. EXCEPT…. It did hurt to take them. Some women respond adversely to taking hormone supplements, and I am part of that ‘some.’ I can’t even begin to describe to you the intense sickness as well as deep depression and anxiety that came upon me overnight. I literally was nothing like myself…. And even in the past when I’ve been depressed, I was not like this. It was crazy. I talked with my doctors, and they said I could come off, but it was risky. At one point I stopped for 4 days….and I could tell a DRASTIC change, but I wasn’t willing to chance it. I continued the hormones through the majority of the first trimester… there were weeks that I didn’t go outside except to visit the doctor, countless days that I could only cry and lay in bed. I had to see my doctor weekly b/c I was high risk due to age and previous pregnancy losses. January, February, and the first portion of March were completely miserable.

The fear was also crippling… each appointment with the doctor, I would have a sonogram, and each time, Jesse and I were prepared to see that the baby had no more heartbeat… We had special genetic tests done, and I was fully prepared to find out that there was something severely wrong with this baby. Even as I write this and even as Jesse and I agreed we would announce to the ‘social media’ world today that we were expecting, I fear because I haven’t heard the heartbeat in 2 weeks now… I long for my next appointment…. It is a type of post traumatic stress that cannot be assuaged by saying “just trust in God.” It’s not that I don’t trust God… it’s just that God doesn’t owe me this child… My life is not my own… my life is God’s… and in this broken world, tragedy is real. It is expected… and if you’ve dedicated yourself as a disciple of Christ, well He tells you to count the cost… life is not going to be easy. This does not mean we are not hopeful. We are hopeful for this child’s life. The heartbeat is strong. I am 13 weeks now, and we saw the heartbeat last at 11 weeks. I hope to see the heartbeat again next week. Every appointment showed that this baby was growing exactly on target… and I’ve had plenty of pregnancy symptoms for sure. I’m growing, as people are pointing out to me… but the joy is mixed with reality…

WHICH is why I wanted to write such a long letter to everyone even to share this pregnancy. There is so much loss out there, so much infertility, so much tragedy and suffering… I want to be sensitive. My joy today may be the ‘post’ that triggers someone else’s tears or feelings of hopelessness… If that is so, I see you and I understand. I’ve walked that exact spot… not knowing if I’d get what I hoped for in the future… and honestly, even now, I don’t know that I’ll get that for which I’ve hoped… Life is not promised to any of us… and life without pain is certainly not promised… We can not know if we have tomorrow or if our loved ones do. As much as we crave things that give us a false sense of control, these things are just that…. Liars… they tell us we control things, but we don’t in the end. We can do our best and still meet what the world deems as failure….what is awful…

But there is redemption as well. There is redemption that takes these failures… in this life we occasionally see it, but in the next life, it will be realized beyond our comprehension… and that’s the life for which we were made. So I hope that sharing this new joy of ours does not cause sorrow in others. If anything, may you find that there is life in the future… there is loss in the future as well… life mingled with loss is the already and not yet state of the Kingdom of God in which we live on earth…





Comments

Popular Posts