First Day Back

I must admit, I was quite apprehensive. I've talked about doing it a few times over the past few weeks, but today, I bit the proverbial bullet. I ran.

I haven't been running since May 13th, and even then, I only ran three times in May and twice in April. To say I've been out of the habit is to say the least, but I knew I couldn't let my favorite season pass without attempting, so...I attempted.

The first 3/4 a mile was filled with 'force.' I should have known better than to go the route with the first mile consisting of many uphill blocks. I thought I'd listen to "Tim Keller," but I pulled my headphones out within the first minute so that I could pray and tell God how much I didn't want to be doing this right now and how much I was doing it out of obedience and needed His help!

By the time the first mile was over, however, I was enjoying myself and remembering what I loved about running. I was convinced I was probably moving as slow as a Grandmother, and when I say Grandmother, I don't mean those Grandmothers I know who run marathons! I noticed so many things I basked in- the streets of downtown Forest Hills, the architecture, the trees... actually I can't think of it all now, but in the moment, I definitely appreciated so much. I must say, I was a little bummed that when I passed Jordan and Cheryl's, Leila wasn't sitting on the balcony waiting to wave to me. But I guess she had no idea I was about to run past...

My goal was to run 2 miles. But I forgot to really keep time because I was enjoying myself. Finally I decided I better turn to head home, and good thing, because when I hit about 2.6 miles, I started to feel tired and wished I could stop. I wasn't quite home yet, however. The agony only lasted another .4 miles, however, because I checked my watch, and by the time another 4 minutes past, I was feeling great again and wishing to run forever. (I'm assuming I was going about a 10 minute mile). I could have gone longer than 3 miles, but I was nearing the half hour mark, and out of obedience to it being a work day, I knew I needed to come home.

When I got home, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I ran 3.27 miles with my pace being 9 minutes 6 seconds per mile! That's better than my average pace when I'm running regularly! I guess this hiatus was good for my legs. I'm surprised they worked today, and I'm even more surprised they worked so quickly!

So thank you Lord for giving me a nice run to welcome me back into the game. I hope you'll give me more to enjoy during this fall season. And I also hope people will stop allowing their dogs to poop on the sidewalk and then leaving it for the rest of us to 'enjoy.' Amen.

-Megin

Comments

Popular Posts