2 Corinthians 4:6-13

So I've been in 2Corinthians for a few days now, trying to take it slow as I study it, and already, God is pointing out a lot of things I never realized in many familiar verses.

I guess it started with studying the history of 2Corinthians more and realizing that one of the main reasons Paul was writing to them was because there were some in the church accusing him of not really being God's apostle because of all the suffering he was enduring. People were saying that if he were really called by God, that he wouldn't be facing such hardship. Can you imagine how this must have made Paul feel? When I started thinking about this, I thought of just how stinking frustrated I would be if I were trying to do God's work in the face of adversity yet only hearing from those I was trying to help that I wasn't even called because if I were, things would be EASIER. Keeping this in mind, reading through 2Corinthians makes MUCH more sense now, and I am understanding so much more of God's word.

So I was in chapter 4 today, at the famous Jars of Clay section, and had much deeper insight. The passage states that we have this treasure (treasure being the knowledge of God's glory that we see in the face of Jesus Christ). So yeah, we have this 'treasure' in jars of clay. The jars of clay being our mortal, fragile, suffering ridden bodies. We have this treasure in Jars of Clay TO SHOW the surpassing power belongs to GOD and NOT to US!

It hit me NEW and like a TON of bricks. Recently I've been getting lots of questions from friends like "how can you do this Megin?" or "How do you have the strength to do this or that?" or "Doesn't it make you upset? Isn't it hard?" or "I could never do that! It's too hard! I'm just not like you!" And honestly, I've met these statements with much frustration that said "well yes it's hard, but you have to do it if you want to be obeying God! So just do it!" Or I've met them with feelings of vindication that assuages my self pity (which is detestable!). I've met these statements in many different ways that recognize my ability to do 'good' or 'godly' things as my own well trained will or my own godly self control in the midst of hardship, or my own 'sold out' life to God. And as I read these verses today, I got so convicted! I have the treasure in my JAR OF CLAY, aka, my aching body or unpleasant circumstance, to show the surpassing power of JESUS CHRIST not of MEGINLEA! Wow! That's the point!

The passage goes onto say "we are always carrying in the body the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may be manifested in our bodies." If we don't suffer, then how the heck is Jesus' overcoming life manifested in our bodies?? If we aren't being crucified and buried, then how is Jesus resurrection supposed to occur in our life? And here I've been taking credit and getting mad at others who are as well controlled as I am?? IT HASN'T BEEN ME! IT'S BEEN THE POWER OF JESUS?? So in answer to any question of 'how are you able to do this Megin?' I must only say BY THE GRACE OF GOD THAT ENABLES ME!!!! sheesh. How stupid could I be? wow.

The Scripture continues to say 'we are given over to death for Jesus sake." "the death at work in me produces life in you." Paul's sufferings produced life in the Corinthian church b/c they were able to see the manifested life of Jesus. and what's more, the presence of God with us as we suffer is so intensely and acutely present to us, that it makes any hardship worth it. So it even produces life in Paul as well. Read the previous chapters of 2Cor and you'll see that. Paul says that it is aroma to people...to him even...of life to life.

So I guess I ended with thinking that if you don't like this chapter...if you are unwilling to suffer or be put in an unpleasant circumstance, then you might as well just not be a Christian...because that is honestly at the heart of Christianity.... Jesus life in us.... And if you say, well why does it have to be about suffering in the first place, maybe you don't understand sin? But even my conviction of this is not because I'm so uber spiritual; rather, it's because Jesus has given me a spirit that was molded into submission to this fact and has graciously given me a life that has seen first hand the freedom and peace that comes with that submission. So glory to God! And I pray that even in the midst of my sin, He will continue to be manifested and glorified. I can be just so stupid, but I suppose that as well is part of this 'Jar of Clay' in which I have such a treasure.

Comments

John Ng said…
You are not stupid, God's grace is that you are now able to realize that you are empowered. Great insight to a famous passage.

Popular Posts