Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, it is well with my soul...

Why is 'it' well with Horatio Spafford's soul? He wrote this hymn around 1873, following a great loss in the 1871 Chicago fire and the loss of all four of his daughters at sea. His wife alone survived. When Horatio was traveling at sea many weeks later, he passed the exact place his own daughters had gone under. It was then that he penned the words to the famous hymn It is Well With My Soul.

So what is it that makes ones' soul well? Perhaps it is the peace like a river in the midst of sorrows rolling like sea billows. Undoubtedly, Horatio experienced some bit of that river among the billows, but what is that peace exactly? Sadly, it seems that many Christians consider the peace their circumstance, their answered prayers, their fulfilled desires. Circumstances, prayers, and desires are not what yield the incredible wellness of the soul, however. Rather, what made it well with Horatio's soul was God Himself, and God forbid I ever testify to the wellness of my soul based upon anything less. Until we fall in love with Jesus and know unswervingly His own character, we are helpless to be sustained in any form of emotional stability or peace. God keep me from saying that 'ministry is a blessing.' God, remind me that it is YOU who are the blessing...everything else is temporary and fleeting. I challenge my fellow seminarians: Are you first enjoying ministry, or are you first enjoying Jesus Christ?

Many people know the first part of the story concerning Horatio's hymn, but there is another part of the story that the same many may not know. Some years after the composition of It is Well With My Soul, Horatio, overcome by grief and circumstance (having lost another child and becoming very ill himself), lost hope and took his own life. The same man who praised the Lord in the face of the death of four, lost hope and took his own life. May that be also an encouragement that we must NOT leave the side of Jesus. We must not for one moment become complacent or listen to lies that God may tolerate some small sin. There is not one of us more than a single step away from utter destruction. My prayer daily is that my friends, family, and myself become not those 'given up unto their shameful and natural lusts and passions.'

Hmm, I am sure this post seems morbid...morose at least. I suppose I should say that it comes after 2 full days of struggle. I have felt the attack of Satan in so many different ways. I am surely certain it is because of current states of feeling nearly impenetrable in the face of adversity. God strengthens us not so that we may sit up strong but so that we may fight in the battle. That is how victories are won- through fighting! That is how the strength of God is made known- through our very weakness.

I praise God for the years that Horatio Spafford was able to cling to Him and find sustainment. I praise God for the glorious hymn which came from Spafford's pain. I praise God that He allows me days, weeks, months, whatever they end up being, of disappointment or pain. Without those times, my own peace and joy would inevitably be wound up in my circumstance. God keeps me in check though, and He constantly asks, 'what is your first love...what is good...what gives you life?' Only one answer satisfies and delights my Lord, and only one answer gives me strength to endure in this world which is surely not my home. My sin is nailed to the cross...that is all that matters- I belong to Jesus.... Praise God. He didn't have to save me; He delighted to, however.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

(Refrain:) It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
(Refrain)

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
(Refrain)

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
(Refrain)

And Lord haste the day, when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Comments

Popular Posts