This is not heaven. Don't make me Pretend it is.

 



Why Can’t we get OVER Things?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we aren’t allowed to grieve. Certain Jewish people sit shiva, to grieve…. Grieve is valued. Grief is Godly. Grief is expected.

What do Christians do? Have funerals; talk about how the person is with Jesus now, free of pain, and happy. Tell us grievers not to be so sad because we’ll see them again.

Well, maybe not ALL Christians do that, but I’ve experience plenty of Christian ‘’theology,” Christian “culture,” and Christian “people” who do JUST that. You’ve heard me rant about it before, especially each time I miscarried, a.k.a. LOST A CHILD, lost a LIFE…. A part of myself.

But today, what is it? What can’t I get over. I lost my uncle, and then, four days later, I lost my cat.

I mainly held strong through my uncle. I cried a little, but I told myself I wasn’t nearly as sad as those who knew him better, so I was fine. Plus, he wasn’t a part of my everyday life. I was grieving, mostly, for those for whom he WAS part of everyday life, and I was grieving for what felt like lost opportunity and injustice for him, and I was grieving because, gosh, it is SCARY, not to know WHEN someone could catch this disease which is basically a death sentence to anyone who has a pre-existing condition that is harsh enough on the body? So I managed on- I didn’t deserve to grieve obviously. I didn’t deserve over what was expected of me with my family…. Trying to squash that grief, because I didn’t deem myself worthy of being allowed to grieve, even. I shouldn’t feel sad. I don’t deserve too.

But then, a few days later, my cat died. Abraham died. He deserves more than just a title of ‘’my cat,’’ because Abraham was a life, and he worked as an instrument of God to carry me through many seasons of life, for 18.75 years….. of up and down and hardship and finding myself and loneliness and fears as well as joys and turning many pages into adulthood…..

And You Know What? WE are NOT okay. Me, them, you.

He lived ALMOST 19 years. 19 years, why does that number matter? Oh yes, that is how long my parents were married, before they finally parted. I’ve mentioned before, that parting was needed at the time, desperately, for our survival, but neither of them, in my opinion, ever healed. And they never reconciled, and that COULD certainly have happened; they loved each other. They just needed to find that love buried underneath all the hate and pain…. and honestly, it COULD happen still today, and would do both of them a great deal of good, once again, in my opinion. But what do I know? Don’t all kids want their parents back together? It’s just part of attachment theory! Except it’s more than that for me, I think, at least. It’s because I see how their separation has affected both of them, even today, I see their pain from it, and their unforgiveness…as well as need to RECEIVE forgiveness…. and I can also envision what healing could take place in both of their souls if they were at least to be able to forgive themselves and each other and offer one another true friendship, without the grievances they hold.

Back to Abraham. That is a long time. I was 17 when my parent’s divorce was final. I lived 17 years in a growing hell. And then after that, I lived in a world of not actually knowing what was the truth, and functioning by oppressing much of the abuse. But that second half of life…. That second 17, 18, 19, 20 years I lived??? With whom and what did I live it ….well, MANY people…. Here and there, for seasons at a time…..But what presence was there with me the entire time? My precious cats, Abraham and Gracie Belle. Jericho bowed out many years earlier, and Jirem joined around that time. And I always felt bad for having left Jericho behind….believing that if I’d taken him with me, maybe even he would have survived much longer. Our other pets all passed away…. Gracie and Abraham were still trucking along; perhaps there was something to be said of God bringing me out for my own good…. AND for the good of others. Those cats were taking care of me. I was taking care of them. We often felt alone, but had one another.

So in grief, I have been….having lost, my companion of nearly 19 years, who took ALL the giant leaps with me….China (well, he waited at home), Mercer, Boston, New York, a DOG, Marriage, Going batshit crazy, finding my way out, Babies, going batshit crazy, finding my way out….ANYTHING, going batshit crazy, cuddling him and crying and praying to God and finding my way out….continually…..

I have fond memories of holding my cat….early mornings, drinking coffee, journaling, reading God’s word, listening, praying….and Abraham.

CURRENT MOMENT: I was supposed to go to a conference last night, and today. A conference where Christians would pray for me, where Christians would be set free, a conference to which I looked forward to going as it was led by someone with whom my husband has spent most of his last year via zoom. But what happened? Well I couldn’t go. Yesterday, I felt physically ill and emotionally unable….I couldn’t move. I just cried. Yesterday was also the first day since Abers’ passing that I drank no alcohol to take the edge of my pain. I needed to grieve, without having to be wife, cleaner, mother, sister, daughter, anything, to any person, except a child of God’s, quite sad and confused and feeling hopeless. And the kids were headed to the grandparents, so I would finally have time to fall apart and not need to survive (hence the alcohol use previously). So I did that… although I could tell Jesse was disappointed, and although all I really wanted was for him to cancel his conference and stay with me and let me grieve however I needed AND BE WITH ME IN IT, I grieved alone last night….with Jirem, and it was sooo strange, because I’m used to be alone, but with Jirem AND Abraham. I had one less support. I kept wanting to hold Abraham so that I could GRIEVE the loss of ABRAHAM

But alas, I had asked for that, him to stay with me, once, (which was all I could muster). I couldn’t dare ask for one of my needs more than once. And Jesse didn’t get the asking…didn’t hear it….or chose to ignore it… whatever it was; he said it wasn’t clear to him. He left. He dropped off the kids. He went to hang out with some people much more fun that who I have become.

I went to bed early last night, prepping to get ready for today, snuggling Abraham’s favorite toy stuffed animal. (He liked to carry clothes and stuffed animals around in his teeth. He was a wonderful mother/I mean father!)  and GO to the conference (as well as shower since I also had not done that since Abers had been gone). But I got up, and it was still there, the inability to face the world…..the inability to function as anything but sad and crying. I told Jesse. I explained. He didn’t say anything much, nodded maybe. I then forced myself to shower, saying, “well I’m going to force myself to at least shower,” and so I did, and it was hard. But I even made myself put on real clothes, although I prefer pjs daily these days b/c I’ve gained 10 more lbs in the last 2 months grieving other things, BEFORE I lost my uncle and cat.

Anyway, after I got out the shower and dressed, Jesse asked if I was ready to go and to pick up our friend and head to the conference. I once again explained that I had said I couldn’t go, and then I was crying. I knew Jesse wanted me to meet his new mentor. I knew he wanted me to have people pray for me. I knew he believed me going would HELP ME, HEAL ME, of so much, and I knew our friend did as well. So we talked back and forth, Jesse saying things that guilted me, me explaining they guilted me, Jesse apologizing and saying it wasn’t his intention. Then I said he needed to leave to pick up our friend. He messaged her. She wasn’t going either, she messaged back in some form. He relayed this info to me by insinuating that the reason she wasn’t going was because I wasn’t going. SO then I felt like not only did I let him down, not only did I obviously not want healing enough or else I would have gone, but NOW I’ve let our friend down as well.

Maybe my other friend was right, a week ago, when he made the joke that he was shocked I was going to the conference. “Megin, leave the house? I’m shocked!” Yes. I know. I have become quite the complete loser, not Christian, lost beyond hope person. Yes I know…..I thought. I’m sure that’s not what he meant. He just makes jokes. I hated myself even more all the while though.

So Jesse and I have words again, and he keeps saying he wasn’t meaning to shame or guilt me, regardless of things that obviously, I am positive, others may understand OBVIOUSLY shamed and guilted me. I think. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I am just….wrong….to the core.

So I lay on the couch crying. I had at least felt somewhat together before, proud I had showered and was braving real clothes and makeup. I almost felt pretty, almost. But now it was all a mess from all the tears. What was the point? I was…I am, a puffy eyed buffoon again.

Anything else you want me to do for you before I go? Jesse asked….I couldn’t even bear it. I had not thes strength. The same way I have not the strength even to edit this entry and put in quotation marks here and there which I am SURE would help this long diatribe make more sense…

….I couldn’t say:    ….HOW ABOUT JUST CHOOSE TO STAY WITH ME???!?!! EXCEPT YOU DIDN’T GET TO TALK ONE-ON-ONE WITH YOUR MENTOR LAST NIGHT, AND SO YOU WANT TO TRY AGAIN, BUT NO ONE EVEN NEEDS YOU FOR A RIDE, AND THE ENTIRE CONFERENCE IS ALSO BEING LIVESTREAMED B/C OF COVID…… SO YOU COULD WATCH FROM HOME…..AND DON’T YOU TALK TO YOUR MENTOR VIA ZOOM??? WE COULD WATCH PARTS TOGETHER????? I couldn’t say any of that. I was too exhausted, and too discouraged from how much I had obviously failed the world by needing just to grieve and cry…..and not perform….

SO he left, and I wailed. And I thought….

There is no space to grieve. No space. Just like why when I called my father, after my uncle (his cousin- actually my cousin, but he always felt like an uncle) died….why my dad was surprised, and asked what I was calling for! I said BECAUSE YOUR COUSIN DIED, YOUR FRIEND! “Oh,” he said “Yes. It’s awful, and didn’t have to happen. It’s just wrong. That was hard. Anyway, how about what’s going on with the babies?” There you go….my dad set the example, of not allowing space for grief, but not to his blame…I bet you no one ever gave him time to grieve either. I finished the conversation. I brought my uncle up a few more times. Dad told me stories about him….it helped. I loved hearing them. I would like to think it helped my dad too. We laughed at the trouble they got into…. I know how much he meant to my dad, how much my dad loved him…. My dad is not evil that he just tried to move on….my dad is just a product of THIS WORLD….AND THE CRAPPY CHRISTIAN CULTURE….and all the things that tell us we can’t grieve…. And my mom as well, but that’s another story.

So I’m here….alone. I’d like to drink again. That would at least take the edge off the pain… I wish, however, I could be ‘worth’ someone just sitting with, bored out of their mind maybe, but just keeping me company while I provided no service, no beauty, no fun, no seemingly Godliness and faithful statements. I am worth that. I know it in my head, but it’s hard to believe when it seems others can’t demonstrate it. When ministry and ministers and mentors are more important than grief; when getting on, moving ahead, and not missing a day’s work or being sad too long (what I learned from my childhood) is more important. When it’s more important to set an example of faith and believe what Scripture says….God withholds no good thing!!! Or When I should just find something else to look forward to….or find a way to dissociate as I did much during youth and young adulthood…. Just believe it didn’t happen. Forget it, and move on. Complete denial, and completely free of pain. And thrust all hurt into the next boy, or next pet, or next child, or next job, or next purse, or in being able to lost 30 lbs in a month because one forces oneself not to eat, or feeling INCREDIBLE because one uses some type of stimulant or abuses some drug or even something LEGAL but in order to produce enough dopamine to make it through one day, or until the next legalistic hoop I could endeavor to jump through in the hopes of earning that final prize of God’s continual blessing with my health and wealth!!!!! until the next day, enslaved again.

Why are those things better though….in the end, they lead to absolute entrapment, slavery…. Why not grief INSTEAD? Well, it doesn’t look as pretty to our blind eyes and our broken notions of what is strength and beauty.

Why not let a person cease from functioning to GRIEVE what never should have been, though….. DEATH NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN. There was no death before sin…. Sin causes death. That’s a lot to grieve. Why not cut people as much slack as they need, AS WELL AS NOT SHUN THEM, as well as SIT WITH THEM, and let them grieve…..because THAT is what will really HELP them grieve….more than just your prayers; I would even challenge, because you are then BEING CHRIST TO THEM…..THEY HAVE A MODEL OF CHRIST SITTING NEXT TO THEM…..as opposed to being spoken at them. WHY NOT BE CHRIST FOR THEM and not just TALK TO CHRIST FOR THEM OR OVER THEM. Why not let the holy spirit move in you and through you to GET TO THEM when they are too broken to feel hopeful or believe in truth and understand truth…..WHY NOT BE TRUTH FOR THEM RIGHT NEXT TO THEM AT A LEVEL TO WHICH THEY CAN TAKE AND NURSE THEM BACK TO HEALTH???? Isn’t that what it means to bandage a wound…..???

But one doesn’t even bandage a wound until one is sure the wound is healing from the bottom up…. So sometimes, you can’t even just put a bandaid over the wound and the pain yet….you have to root out infection……So before you bandaid with your prayer….SIT WITH THEM….LET THEM CRY AND CALL OUT ALL THE PAIN, ALL THE INFECTION…. And then, when time, place the salve…. They’ll be ready then, but until they are ready, why not show them grace instead of the expectations of performance to pursue their way back to being the right type of “Christian’’ or person or ANYTHING they should be?

Just a few thoughts….from a person who refuses to squash her grief, regardless of how unworthy it makes her look and ridiculous it makes her look or as mental as it makes her look. Perhaps the real people who are mental are the ones who have completely pushed away an entire part of the REALITY of the world in which we are in….perhaps what is mental is NOT to embrace all of reality.

Perhaps what is GODLY and HEALTHY and TRULY LIVING is to sit in the disgust and refuse of this world and cry out because it should be cried against….since it was never meant to be part of God’s Kingdom in the first place…. Just a thought, that I’m sure the most lost of us, of you, the most white-washed will not understand, but the most dirty, the most filthy, and the most unproductive of those, who focus on the inside of the cup as opposed to the outside, and who break with the pace of the world to grieve the utter reality of how it should not be. Perhaps they are actually embodying truth….and God’s heart. And God’s grief, good grief. Just perhaps, before their comes a day with no more tears, perhaps we have to ALLOW days with only tears. This is not our heaven; don’t make me  pretend it is.

Comments

Popular Posts