Megin Eng, Class of 2020

Gordon-Conwell—Hamilton
Image taken from Gordon-Conwell.edu

Eeeeeee!!! I didn't know if it would be possible, but I went ahead and reached out just in case, and yay!! I'm so excited to announce the following!!! I've graduated! AGAIN. Well, not really. haha Allow me to explain...

Two years ago I received the letter below from Gordon-Conwell informing me that I was now able to apply officially to have my transcript updated. After many years of input from students and faculty, GCTS received permission and accreditation to switch the label of their MA in World Missions and Evangelism to an MA in Intercultural Studies!

For those of you who have followed me from way-back-in-the-day, before I lost my Southern accent, fell in love in Boston, and then cheated on her by marrying New York City, you know that the entire reason I even WENT to dear old Gor-Con in the first place was because of its missions program! Unlike pretty much every other seminary I checked out, Gordon-Conwell was going to offer me a chance to study world religions, world cultures, anthropology, AND theology outside of the Western understanding of theology that so many of our seminaries teach or the study of church history strictly from the Western church perspective even... I was stoked. I also was terrified...terrified to move to a place so far away, literally the school furthest from home that was not also IN another country, and my professors from Mercer really wanted me to to attend Columbia in Atlanta or Princeton. At the same time, my reformed mentors could not speak highly enough of RTS or Westminster, but Gordon-Conwell stole my heart. Plus, they were not going to make me sign a statement of faith where I had to promise to believe a certain denominational confession, and that was a plus. (Remind me to tell you the story of when I gave the poor woman in the admissions department at RTS an awfully arrogant attitude because she called to let me know I had not confirmed their confession of faith yet and needed to do so to finish with placement and acceptance. I agreed with their confession of faith, but it made me mad I had to say that in order to go there...and I let her know that before I told her 'nevermind on the application.' Sorry poor kind-hearted woman. I have since lost a little bit of my stubborn temper...not much, but a little. In God's sovereignty, which we both firmly believe in, I am sure it will one day be fully eradicated). 

Anyway, I wanted to go to seminary to study ALL the theology, not just learn to think one way. So there it was, the choice- crystal clear. I'll never forget the words of Colin, my campus pastor, "Flee- flee to Boston Megin!!" as I poured out my heart to him about the boys I was currently trying to decide between and how one was going to be in Macon and one was going to be in Augusta. "Flee to Boston! And see which one follows!" Colin was a wise man. I fled, crying my eyes out, and God was good. 

I had to pack up the U-haul and my dad's car, which I quickly learned was not built for snow, and move to a small New England town. I never once regretted it either, even though I met some more boys who broke my heart even more, AND I got stuck in the aforementioned snow a few times...but alas. God is sovereign. Remember? If not, I can give you the number for the admissions department at RTS. They can explain it to you.  

I always felt, however, that my label as an MA in missions and evangelism did not quite reflect exactly what I studied. And I can recall the shock of my friends who studied at more liberal and academic seminaries when I was able to hold my own in discussions about comparative religions, why Jesus isn't a Western-concept, or the Bhagavad Gita. They literally thought I was just studying about how to hand out tracts on the sidewalk or convert someone via the Romans Road. Thankfully GCTS has upped their street cred and changed the name of the major. 

Brief aside, I wanted to study these things not just for the sake of studying them. My heart was compelled toward missions and evangelism, but I felt a firm conviction, one that remains to this day, that we cannot minister well to people unless we first understand from where they are coming. Loving people means SEEING them, LISTENING to them, UNDERSTANDING them. I could not go out there and just ask people to convert to my way of thought. I needed to hear how they thought, why they thought that way, find out what their questions about life and God were in the first place... all of this key. So while I still believe I hold the wisdom of the ages in possessing knowledge of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the way in which I present my faith is completely different from the way in which I believe many people may assume Christians ''witness'' and ''evangelize." We have to care for the entire person. Gordon-Conwell taught me a lot about that, offered me a chance to explore that. I will forever be thankful... 

I was lax, however, because of ministry, life, kids, etc. I received the following letter in 2018, but I never responded. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and the email still being in my gmail inbox, and I finally decided to pursue something JUST for myself and see if I could get a change. And woohoo!! It wasn't too late! So it's official my friends, I have an MA in Intercultural Studies. Yay yay yay! Feels validating. All that reading and writing and study of the world. Going to seminary was by far one of the most challenging academic and spiritual, mental, emotional pursuits of my life. I didn't JUST read the bible... there is much more to it. I don't say this to brag, but to encourage you to look into your faith and to explore- push the limits... there is so much richness and depth to be uncovered! Praise God from whom all blessings flow, especially the blessing afforded me by being given the opportunity to go to seminary and pursue a life where I literally get to say "God, what do you want me to do?" Thank You God...it is unmerited favor indeed... This was not always my dream, but You certainly knew the dreams of my heart long before I became acquainted with them, and You led me to follow them even when I was grasping around clumsily...

Dear Megin:

We are writing to let you know that Gordon-Conwell recently received approval from our accrediting body, The Association of Theological Schools, to change the title of the MA in World Missions & Evangelism degree to an MA in Intercultural Studies. Over the years, many MAME graduates have informed us of challenges and difficulties faced by the title of the MAME degree program. For this reason, the faculty and administration have been working to resolve this issue for both alumni and current students, with the result being a title change.

Beginning in April 2018, Gordon-Conwell’s MA in World Missions and Evangelism will officially change to the MA in Intercultural Studies. Any MAME alumnus/a is welcome to surrender the World Missions & Evangelism degree and be awarded the MA in Intercultural Studies instead. This would initiate a new 2018 graduation date for the MAIS, regardless of when the original MAME was earned......

If you have any questions about these changes, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Kind regards,

Assistant Registrar

GORDON-CONWELL
THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY

130 ESSEX STREET, SOUTH HAMILTON, MA 01982
E: registration@gcts.edu | P: 978.646.4110 |  F: 978.646.4566


and then this email from yesterday:

Hello again, Megin! 

I am writing to let you know that updated our system with the degree change. You may request a transcript with the new degree name if needed. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Blessings, Julie

 

Assistant Registrar and International Student Advisor

 

G O R D O N - C O N W E L L
T H E O L O G I C A L  S E M I N A R Y

 

130 ESSEX STREET, SOUTH HAMILTON, MA 01982

(978) 646-4062 | jnichols@gcts.edu | www.gordonconwell.edu

 

Comments

Popular Posts