Crispy Buffalo Chicken Wings ...and then Random Rambling


Found this recipe online, or Jesse did, and then I made it last night. It turned out really great, especially since we don't have a deep frier and used a pan with oil instead. :)

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 10 chicken wings
  • oil for deep frying
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup hot sauce
  • 1 dash ground black pepper
  • 1 dash garlic powder

Directions:
Mix flour, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt together. Coat the chicken wings in the mixture, and then fry in oil for about 15 minutes. While they are frying, warm butter, hot sauce, garlic power, and black pepper in a small pan to use as baste. Once the wings are done, baste them with the hot sauce/butter mixture. 

It took a while because we only had one pan and had to fry a few wings at a time, but if you have a deep fryer, I suspect it will be pretty quick. Also, the recipe said to actually cover the wings in the flour mixture and then put them in a baggy in the refrigerator for about an hour BEFORE frying them. I'm not sure exactly what this does, but I suspect it makes the flour stick to the wings more and makes the wings more crunchy in the end. We, however, were impatient and did not follow this step. Maybe in the future we will. Also, we only had chili pepper, not cayenne, so we used it. Cayenne will make it spicier, BUT, if you are like me, chili pepper is hot enough. This recipe was already too spicy for me, but Jesse loved it.

Unfortunately, as Jesse and I were preparing the food, I knocked over a canister holding spoons and spatulas, etc. and it broke. I was pretty sad and yelled about it. The canister was a pink one from Whitney, and to make matters worse, a matching salad fork/spoon duo given to me by Aunt Ruby also broke. I was really sad about that too. I hadn't even gotten to use them yet. I know these 'things' are just 'things,' but gifts mean so much to me and remind me of the love of that person. Especially important are gifts from and/or pictures of people I miss a lot (like friends and family). My apartment is covered in pictures, more so than anyone I know. I actually know people who do not put any pictures in their homes b/c they find it to be like their family/friends watching them. But I miss my family/friends so much, that having a lot of pictures of them around makes me feel their pseudo presence. Gifts from them, when I see them, also makes me feel them more. So yeah, I yelled and whined about how living in NY, things are cramped and there is no space. I frequently end up breaking things b/c of cramped living space. It makes me long for the luxurious amounts of space my friends in the South have...although then I just feel guilty b/c there are many people who have much less space than I do. 

Some would say I have made the 'choice' to live in NY, but I don't really feel like it is my choice all that much. I'm not sure if this is sinful, but I certainly dream of having a big nice kitchen where I could spread out and cook and bake all sorts of things. Cooking in a small kitchen is pretty hectic and takes away a lot of the joy I find in cooking. I guess whatever one has in life, however, she will find something she 'wishes' she had or had more of. I should be content with the kitchen I have....but thinking of my mom or dad's kitchen...or my sisters, oh it just makes me salivate! haha So much space! 

Anyway, that's all for now. I should only reveal small bits of my sin and covetousness at a time lest you all realize what a horrible sinner I am and excommunicate me. BUT, if you did that, I'd remind you about the Gospel and that we're all lost like this. But then you'd probably say 'that's true, but we need someone a little more sanctified to lead children in our midst,' to which I would reply, 'I could not agree more.' Seriously, I wonder daily how in the HECK I can steer kids the right direction when I seriously have to feed myself on baby food when it comes to following God. Man, I'm thankful for grace and that Jesus paid the way for me. I could never be good enough to earn my salvation. How despairing of a life I'd live if it depended on me and my performance. Thank You Jesus. All I can do is give you my love in return...my meager, ridiculous love. But I know you delight in that because I know how much I delight in Franklin's little 4 year old love, self-centered and lacking wisdom and obedience and understanding...but the sweetest things, nonetheless.

Peace Out- yo
-m

Comments

dang34 said…
yay meat. post more baby pics of jirem.

Popular Posts